Basic rules applicable when you walk your dog(s) in public places and dog parks
As a dog owner you have several obligations, for example: you shall take part in the dog census, pick up dog poop and may not let your dog(s) endanger others. Below, you can read the basic rules which apply when you walk your dog(s) in public places or dog parks.
We kindly recommend you to study the publication of NÉBIH [National Food Chain Safety Office] summarising the rights and obligations of dog owners: Doggie duties – Guide for the statutory provisions on responsible dog ownership.
Please clean up after your dog! – There is no Poop Fairy
The owner shall remove the faeces of the dog (or other animal) being under his/her control from the public places. Canine faeces shall be picked up in dog parks and all public places (in the street, in parks and other green areas) by the person who walks the dog.
Any person who fails to fulfil the above obligation commits a minor misdemeanour against public cleansing.*
Canine faeces are stinky, bad to step in and can even cause illness.
If we do not follow this simple rule of social coexistence, we can even make indifferent or animal lover people against dogs.
It is up to all of us, what district we live in. Let’s make the streets clean together!
Free poo bags
The Municipality of Józsefváros provides all dog owners living in the district with one hundred free poop bags every month.
These bags can be collected from: Városüzemeltetési Igazgatóság 1086 Budapest, Dankó utca 3-5.
* Minor misdemeanour against public cleansing: Pursuant to section 196 (1) a) and b) in Act II of 2012: „(1) Any person, who (a) litters in a public place, in a building serving the purposes of public traffic or in a public transport vehicle or pollutes any of these facilities, b) fails to eliminate the pollution, at any facilities specified in point a), caused by the animal under his/her control commits a minor misdemeanour.”
Dog walking: Dogs must be kept on a lead during walking in public places.
Dogs shall be kept on a lead during walking in a public place of Józsefváros, with the exception of the areas designated as dog parks, and dogs can only be led by a person who is able to control, handle and restrain them. The owner of the dog shall ensure that it would not endanger either other animals or people. If the dog runs away and the person controlling the animal becomes aware thereof, he/she may not let it stray and shall make efforts, in an active manner, to find it.
Any person who fails to fulfil the above obligation commits a minor misdemeanour.** No matter how well-bred and obedient your dog is, the legal regulations on protection of animals prescribe the use of leash in public places. The failure to comply with these provisions may be subject to sanctions.
Owners have the best knowledge of their own dogs but other people, children and other dogs in the public places do not know how it behaves. So, in order to prevent conflicts and accidents, you shall keep your dog on lead during walking.
If we do not follow this simple rule of social coexistence, we can turn people not knowing dogs, being afraid of animals or worried about children or their own dogs against animal owners and dogs.
Etiquette of dog parks
In dog parks of Józsefváros, etiquette helps owners to be able to make a living with dogs and neighbours in the common areas. Futietikett is available here >>>
** Section 17 (1) to (3) in Government Decree 41/2010 (II. 26.) Korm. on keeping and trading in pet animals states that
"(1) Dogs shall be kept on a lead during walking in public place of urban area, except the areas designated as dog parks. Dogs can only be led by a person who is able to control, handle and restrain them.
(2) In a public place, the owner of the dog shall ensure that it would not endanger by bite either other animals or people.
(3) If it is not required by act, government decree or decree of minister, the use of muzzle, for the purpose of implementing the provisions of paragraph (2), shall only be compulsory in case of being aware of the typically aggressive behaviour of the animal.”
Endangerment with a dog: According to the section 193 (1) to (3) in Act II of 2012,
„Section 193 (1) Any person who
a) lets, without supervision, the dog under his/her control to a public place in the urban area of a settlement or lets it stray,
b) * releases the dog under his/her control, with the exception of hunting and truffle hunting dogs, off-lead or lets it stray on a site, protected site or in a hunting area,
c) * transports the dog under his/her control, with the exception of assistance dog, without muzzle and leash in a public transport vehicle,
d) * lets or brings the dog under his/her control, with the exception of assistance dog, in a food store, except catering units, public bath or playground commits a minor misdemeanour.
(2) * Any person who does not keep his/her dangerous dog in closed facility or fails to use a proper warning sign referring to the dangerous dog at the entrance of the house (apartment) commits a minor misdemeanour.
(2a) *For the purpose of the present section, assistance dog means the assistance dog pursuant to the decree on the rules of training, examination and applicability of the assistance dogs.
(3) * In case of minor misdemeanour prescribed in paragraphs (1) and (2), spot fine may be imposed by the public safety officer, the nature conservation watchmen (on site and protected site), the nature conservation watchmen of the municipality (on protected site of local importance) and the field watchmen.”
If you wish to get information for dog owners issued by the Municipality of Józsefváros, sign up for dog newsletter of Józsefváros by clicking here >>>